How to Use and Care for a Loofah Shower Sponge
Feb. 23, 2022 | Written by Lana Kisner
A loofah shower sponge is an excellent way to care for your skin. Made from the dried gourd of a loofah plant, loofah sponges are gentle on skin as well as on the environment.
Loofah shower sponges keep skin healthy and radiant through their gentle, yet abrasive properties. Made from the dried gourd of a type of cucumber plant, their natural fibers are biodegradable and can be composted when they are no longer useable.
Natural loofah sponges are a great eco-friendly switch for any household. In this article, we’ll dive into the many ways in which loofah shower sponges are good for your skin, as well as the best ways to care for yours.
Are Loofahs Good for Your Skin?
A loofah shower sponge is a great way to clean and unclog pores, while the gentle exfoliation keeps skin vibrant and healthy. Natural loofah sponges are also free of chemicals and synthetics, which makes them safe for even those with sensitive skin to use.
The growth of new cells is hampered when too many dead cells sit on the surface of the skin, resulting in rough-feeling skin and possibly lines and wrinkles as well. However, the sturdy fibers of loofah sponges remove dead skin and promote cellular regeneration.
Furthermore, loofah shower sponges are great at loosening dirt and oil from the pores on your skin. This can help prevent acne and other blemishes while leaving your skin looking smooth and radiant.
The scrubbing effect of loofah sponges doesn’t only clean skin, but it also stimulates blood flow. This can keep your skin looking vibrant, and it can even help to break down and reduce the appearance of cellulite when used regularly.
How to Care for a Loofah Shower Sponge
The moist environment of sponges can easily become a breeding ground for germs and bacteria, and natural loofah sponges are no exception. Their many holes and crevices can trap dirt and grim that bring about things like folliculitis, yeast, and fungal infections, making proper care and maintenance important.
The following steps will help you keep your loofah shower sponge clean and safe to use:
- Rinse your loofah after each use, squeeze out any excess water, and allow it to dry completely. Keeping your loofah dry will prevent bacterial growth while keeping your loofah usable for longer.
- Store loofahs in a dry place when not in use.
- Disinfect your loofah shower sponge by soaking it in diluted bleach for five minutes every week or two. This will kill any bacteria and can help breakdown soap scum and other particles.
- Use the antimicrobial properties of essential oils to deter bacterial growth. Soak your loofah shower sponge in a solution of warm water and your favorite essential oil once a week.
- Loofahs will naturally break down and deteriorate with time. Replace your loofah every 2-3 months, or as needed.
Loofah sponges can be used until they naturally deteriorate. To get the most life out of your loofah shower sponge, be sure to keep it clean and always allow it to dry completely between uses.
Looking for High Quality Loofah Sponge Supplier ?